Sunday 14 December 2014

Machen-ations


Arthur Machen, a remarkable writer I don't mention often enough, was one of the greatest exponents of the weird tale in the early 20th century. Now a major Machen collection is in peril from library cuts! Machen enthusiast Mark Valentine sends the following:
The public library at Newport, Gwent, houses a splendid Arthur Machen collection, including rare items, some donated over the years by his admirers, friends and family. It is the best public collection of his work in the UK, and an argument can be made for its international significance. The library is now under threat of closure. The local council are considering a plan to replace it with much smaller local hubs. 
The Friends of Arthur Machen are joining those concerned by the closure. Please consider adding your voice to those urging the local council to protect the library and collection. A wide response may help them rethink plans or at least safeguard the collection. 
Full details, including where to write to add your views, are on the Wormwoodiana blog: http://wormwoodiana.blogspot.co.uk/"

 

2 comments:

Oscar Solis said...

I read this with sadness. I work at a library and we have to deal with possible cuts every year. I hope none of these scenarios come to pass. Although, to be honest, I would be lying if I didn't admit that I would snap up the collection if it was offered for sale, that is if I had a fortune laying about (which I don't, pity).

I love the work of Arthur Machen. It's definitely an acquired taste but once you get into what he's about then the work rewards handsomely. To this day I marvel at his story The White People. A masterpiece. It should be required reading for all those publishers of so called supernatural fiction for young readers so that they can know what the real deal is like. Grumpy me.

Andy said...

I grew up in Newport, and am a huge Machen fan, and this is an extremely distressing story. Whilst I was growing up that place was like a second home to me. :(

LET YOUR HINGED JAW DO THE TALKING by Tom Johnstone (Alchemy Press)

ST 55 features a tale by Brighton's finest purveyor of contemporary horror, Tom Johnstone. And it just so happens that Alchemy Press is...