Wednesday 3 April 2013

Chapbook Corner

I was looking for something, and - as you do - I found some things that were interesting, but none of which were the thing I was looking for. One thing I'd forgotten about was this chapbook from Ro Pardoe's Haunted Library, published in 1984.


It's a short story by Ramsey Campbell. I vaguely recall receiving it, but have no idea whether it was a gift or a purchase (or perhaps a bribe for 'services rendered', but we'll say no more about that). Anyway, if anyone asks you for a supernatural tale that involves a parrot, confident that you will say 'How Love Came to Professor Guildea', you can amaze them by naming this one instead. And, yes, the story does revolve around the parrot's most famous and entertaining ability.

I may start looking out other obscure publications. I'm sure you'll be fascinated to hear about them in the weeks, months, aeons to come...

2 comments:

rich garfinkel said...

My favorite parrot horror story is Bird of Prey by John Collier.And doesn't HR Wakefield have one?

valdemar said...

You've got me there. I don't recall either story you mention, but I'm sure someone else will...

ATARASHII GAKKO! - HANAKO (Official Music Video)

'Hanako of the Toilet' is a famous Japanese urban myth of a girl ghost that haunts... well, you can work it out for yourself.  (I th...