Wednesday 20 March 2013

RIP James Herbert

I think James Herbert's The Survivor was the first horror novel I read, and - if memory serves - it stood up as a pretty good supernatural thriller when I re-read it a few years on.

When I was a teenager in the late Seventies it was de rigeur to read Herbert's books, perhaps because - as a former teacher - he was very attuned to the sort of stuff kids go for. That's not to say he wasn't a good writer for adults; the sales of those early novels speak for themselves. And, for my money, he was a much better writer than most horror authors of that era, especially when it came to plot construction and fleshing out an array of characters.

Farewell, Mr Herbert, you entertained a lot of people.

1 comment:

James Everington said...

The first adult horror novel I read was a copy of Rats that was passed around the playground when I was twelve... I've seen lots of similar comments since the sad news, so he was obviously the gateway for lots ofcreaders & writers. What sad news.

Supernatural Tales 55 is now available to order in print form

  New stories by Mark Falkin, Carole Tyrrell, Cliff McNish, Tom Johnstone, Reggie Chamberlain-King, and Timothy Granville Cover art by Sam D...